Four new records were established on the opening day of the 89th Sir John Tarbat Senior Athletics Meet which began at the Sugathadasa Stadium in Colombo yesterday (10).
Chalith Piumal of Lumbini MV set a new record in the Boys’ Under-18 200 metres with a time of 21.88 seconds to eclipse the previous record of 21.92 seconds achieved by Ramesh Malshan of Maris Stella College last year.
In addition, Dinod Ariyawansa of St. Aloysius’ College, Ratnapura set a new record of 55.32s in the Boys’ Under-16 400m hurdles to better the previous record of 56.29s jointly achieved by H. A. T. Dilshan of Kuliyapitiya Central and D. M. P. L. Kodikara of Maliyadeva College, Kurunegala.
Meanwhile, K. G. D. M. S. Kumarasinghe of Walala Ratnayake CC set a new time of 1.06.67s in the Girls’ Under-16 400m hurdles to eclipse the previous record of 1.06.80s set by R. W. T. Dineshika of Ambagamuwa MMV.
Heshani Maheshika of St. Sebastian’s BV, Kandana also set a new record in the Girls’ Under-16 discuss throw with an effort of 38.16m.
- Under-20 Boys’ 5,000m: H. S. Sankalpa (Makandura Central).
- Under-16 long jump: H. A. O. C. Hettiarachchi (Wekada MV).
- Under-20 Girls’ triple jump: Nethmi Megawardna (Gateway, Rajagiriya).
- Under-20 Girls’ shot put: M. D. V. Gimhani (Taxila Central, Horana).
- Under-18 Girls’ pole vault: Janitha Wimalasena (Lyceum, Wattala).
- Under-20 Boys’ discus throw: Shaveen Rameeshka (St. Joseph’s, Colombo).
- Under-20 Girls’ 5,000m: G. D. P. D. de Zoysa (Walala Ratnayake Central).
- Under-18 Boys’ javelin throw: Rumesh Tharanga (St. Peter’s, Bambalapitiya).
- Under-18 Girls’ high jump: P. I. N. Pallegama (Ibbagamuwa Central).
- Under-16 Boys’ shot put: Naveen Marasinghe (St. Joseph’s, Colombo).
- Under-20 Boys’ long jump: Y. C. M. Yodasinghe (St. Mary’s, Kegalle).
- Under-20 Girls’ high jump: K. S. M. Perera (Taxila Central, Horana).
- Under-16 Girls’ pole vault: Akithya Jayatileke (Ave Maria Convent, Negombo).
- Under-18 Boys’ long jump: Pasindu Malshan (St. Joseph’s, Colombo).
- Under-20 Girls’ discus throw: S. A. S. Tilekeratne (Dutugemunu MV, Tholangamuwa).
- Under-20 Boys’ high jump: Inura Kavishan (Rajasinghe Central, Hanwella).
- Under-16 Boys’ triple jump: Ravindu Ashan (Sangabodhi MV, Nittambuwa).
- Under-16 Girls’ javelin throw: G. V. Y. Perera (Kalutara BV).
- Under-18 Girls’ 2,000m steeplechase: B. M. H. I. Basnayake (Galigamuwa MV).
- Under-18 Boys’ 2,000m steeplechase: G. D. L. A. Gurusinghe (Senanayake NS, Madampe).