NFTH claims increase in number of patients after state takeover
The Health Ministry yesterday said that the number of OPD patients at the Neville Fernando Teaching Hospital (NFTH) was gradually increasing after the government takeover of the institution last month.
Health Ministry Spokesman, Prasanna Adhikari said That at 7.00 pm on Wednesday (02) there had been 350 OPD patients. On Monday (01), the day on which the hospital was opened to the public there had been 186 OPD patients.
The hospital, after the takeover, conducted its first board meeting on Wednesday (02), presided over by Health Minister, Dr Rajitha Senaratne. The new board members were given their letters of appointment. Several decisions were taken for further development of the hospital. Human resource issues at the hospital were also discussed.
Meanwhile, former Chairman of the NFTH, Dr Neville Fernando told The Island that by yesterday afternoon the number of patients at the NFTH, OPD had exceeded 300. There were 20 admissions as well.
Dr Fernando said Minister Dr Senaratne had inspected the hospital on Wednesday’s (02). The administration would advertise vacancies to further strengthen hospital staff, he said.
If doctors who applied were members of the Government Medical Officers’ Association (GMOA) the people in the village were waiting to give them a dunking in the surrounding paddy fields, he added.