The SLMM in a statement said yesterday that it could not rule out the possibility of LTTE`s involvement in Saturday`s attack on a Navy vessel.
While strongly condemning the attack, the SLMM said it was still too early to establish exactly the details of the attack and that it was currently conducting investigations. ?The LTTE has denied any involvement. However, based on SLMM`s previous experience during the period of the Ceasefire Agreement, we feel that we cannot at this stage rule out its involvement? the SLMM said.
The statemenrt said, ?The SLMM would like to urge the LTTE to extend its full cooperation to both the Sri Lankan Government and the SLMM on this matter in the hope that we can establish how this attack came about and how such incidents can be avoided in the future.
?There has been a dangerous escalation of violence taking place over the last couple of weeks. This trend is extremely worrying as the parties prepare themselves to meet in Geneva for a second round of talks in four weeks time.
?Several serious incidents took place in Trincomalee Bay during the last week resulting in exchange of fire between the Sri Lankan Navy and the LTTE. The SLMM would like to stress that both sides have shown lack of commitment and their actions have been provocative and not in line with the spirit of the CFA.
?Finally the SLMM would like to urge both parties to refrain from provocative acts and live up to the pledges they made in Geneva by showing their true commitment to the CFA. If the parties do not take responsibility, we fear that the situation could become gradually worse resulting in an escalation beyond what we had in December and January.