The Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission said yesterday there were no signs of the existence of an LTTE military camp in the vicinity of the two schools which came under attack from Government troops on Wednesday.
SLMM acting spokeswoman Helen Olafsdottir told the Daily Mirror the monitors had interviewed some of the survivors of the incident and so far no one had provided evidence to suggest the presence of a rebel military camp in the area
She said the survivors had also not given any indication to suggest the LTTE may have fired from the area towards the security forces before fleeing in anticipation of a retaliatory response on the area.
Meanwhile despite earlier reports of the attack in Vakarai killing 60 civilians and injuring some 600 more the SLMM said it has seen only 23 bodies thus far while another 137 were receiving treatment at the Batticaloa hospital.
The ICRC which also visited the site said it had seen 23 bodies while its officials also assisted in transporting 69 seriously injured civilians to the Valaichchenai hospital for treatment.