• 15 Mar 2010 15:10:40 GMT

COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lanka will seek a waiver from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) after failing to meet the 2009 budget deficit target agreed under a $2.6 billion loan deal, the central bank said on Monday.

The IMF said late last month that it was delaying the third tranche of the loan, approved last July to help Colombo avert a balance of payments crisis. The third tranche is worth around $318 million of the remaining loan of around $2 billion.

Delays in IMF disbursements could undermine foreign investment as Sri Lanka seeks to recover from a 25-year civil war, and could also raise the costs of borrowing via a 10-year, $500 million sovereign bond sovereign bond it expects to sell later this year.

`When they (the IMF`s mission to Sri Lanka) go to their board, we will request a waiver (to allow the frozen payments to resume),` K.D. Ranasinghe, the chief economist at the central bank, told Reuters in an

• 15 Mar 2010 15:10:50 GMT

Would like to hear comments from LNP Law Professor RASAK who is temporarily posted to UK to advice Queen of England on legal matters :):)

• 15 Mar 2010 15:18:53 GMT

Sounds the case is more suitable for civil court.

Waiting to see how gov responses for this.

Dalas already said, this fact - no higher officer to SF- will not affect to the case. But, how gov legally defence its position is worth to observe.

• 15 Mar 2010 15:20:10 GMT

[All courses of action taken against General are against the law Former Chief Justice]

True if we are living in a democracy. Law of the land is not a valid entity in the Jungle Law practiced by Mugabi Idi Amin Jarapakshe..

• 15 Mar 2010 15:22:25 GMT

When FORMER ARMY commander who was in the midst of war says that War Crimes are done,

When FORMER CHIEF justice, who was in midst of framing law says that Law of Jungle prevails in Srilanka,

Only Modalankans like rasak says it is not TRUE...

Banana failed republic Silly Lanka going the way of Burma !

:-))

• 15 Mar 2010 15:50:48 GMT

Sarath Pons and Sarath Gons.. both are traitors

• 15 Mar 2010 16:23:10 GMT

Rizwana,

I left you a response last Friday. I didn`t come to LNP since then. I hope you can read them.

[http://www.lankanewspapers.com/news/2010/3/54720_33.html?CH11268482561967EN1 ]

• 15 Mar 2010 16:31:35 GMT

Losangeles t new york 5000 miles

• 15 Mar 2010 16:33:06 GMT

Rizwana,

Others know it (who have read most of my comments) here. I am really excited about the changes that are taking place in Sri Lanka. Especially in the former war-torn areas in the North & East. You asked me about how I feel about the `Sinhala invasion` of Jaffna. This is not an `invasion`. The people of Sri Lanka are now seeing part of their country they could not see for more than 2 decades.

The Tamils and Sinhalese should take the opportunity to see for themselves, parts of the country they did not have the chance to visit before. I called for a unified Sri Lankan identity even before the President spoke about it in his war-victory speech last May.

I can speak for only myself. I am really sorry about what LTTE did to your family and thousands of others. The Tamil people who complained about becoming victims of Sinhala-orchestrated violence, allowed the same the thing to happen to so many of you. Except, what LTTE did was much worse. Little did they realize, that the Jaffna Tamils will be undergoing through the same ordeals later, at the hands of the LTTE. Now, we should find it in our hearts to forgive and forget. I am confident, that a new hopeful future for all Sri Lankans is in the making. We should do all we can to make it a reality for generations to come.

• 15 Mar 2010 16:40:44 GMT

Former chief justice was appointed politically ...

hicks..