Defence spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella yesterday denied that 150 security forces men were killed in the fierce four day gun battle last week in Pompaimadu.
At a news conference held by Parliamentarian Lakshman Kiriella on Tuesday it had been said 150 security forces men were killed in this battle against the Tigers. The Minister said only 15 soldiers were killed and 52 were injured with 20 seriously injured.
`There is a politically motivated campaign launched against the government`s war effort against the terrorist group LTTE and those orchestrating this sinister campaign are exaggerating in order to gain political milage.` Rambukwella said.
`These elements are trying to impress the international community by giving false figures. But in a war you cannot fool any one with false figures,` he said.
Military spokesman Brigadier Prasad Samarasinghe denied claims that the LTTE destroyed artillery positions of the army in west of Omanthai. They only damaged an ammunition dump he said.
Troops recovered the bodies of the 13 of the soldiers killed. Later LTTE handed over bodies through the ICRC but only two were identified as soldiers the Military spokesman said.
LTTE yesterday morning placed two bombs on the rail track in Vakaneri targeting the Polonnaruwa bound passenger train from Batticaloa around 7.50 a.m. One of the bombs exploded under a carriage derailing the train. Three civilians and a policemen were injured due to the explosion.