DNA controversy: An intentionally forgotten contributor - Dr. Rosalind Franklin

• 5 Mar 2007 01:58:34 GMT

I have not studied biology but my own interest once tried to read `Double Helix`. Also try to understand about the DNA with the help of the notes from a friend who did zoology. Unfortunately till today, I could never understand even the basics. I admit it is one subject I find that I am not able to fathom at all.

If I remember correctly both Watson and Crick were Chemists, not biologists and DNA structure has much to do with Chemistry.

• 5 Mar 2007 02:36:21 GMT

Wikipedia articles say,

James D. Watson earned his B.Sc. and Ph.D. in Zoology.

Francis Crick earned a B.Sc. degree in physics and began a Ph.D. research project in physics. His studies had been interrupted by the Second World War. After the war, he studied biology.

• 5 Mar 2007 08:36:02 GMT

Good stuff.....

I wonder whether our political-only animals would stop for a minute to read something like this!!!!

• 5 Mar 2007 19:41:08 GMT

Great info sri.

anyone remember Barry Scheck!! how about the innocence project.

he was one of the lawyers for OJ. i liked the way he argued. he was the co founder of the project fighting wrongful convictions and DNA is one of the LEADING tools used!!.

[As of February 9, 2007 194 defendants previously convicted of serious crimes in the United States had been exonerated by DNA testing.]

i have to ask do you have a chemical background Sri!

and whats the application you use to put together the images. (PS, corel or something else!)

• 5 Mar 2007 20:09:40 GMT

[...do you have a chemical background.]

Yes, I have chemical engineering background. That is why I could understand these things.

[...whats the application.]

You will laugh, if I say the truth!

No fancy or anything. I use simple Microsoft photo editor to resize each photo and then use Microsoft paint to put together.

I normally open first photo in the MS Paint then select `Edit` and `Past From` commands to composite each photo from the file.

[innocence project]

Yes, recently there was a much talk about news item in TV. DNA is a better tool to fight the crime, but there should be enough DNA samples from a crime scene to come out a positive identification. Sometimes, DNA sample accidentally could be switched in the laboratory setting.

• 6 Mar 2007 01:57:15 GMT

Nice post Sri..I had the privilege to meet James Watson nice calm guy.

• 6 Mar 2007 02:26:18 GMT

ML,

[I wonder whether our political-only animals would stop for a minute to read something like this!!]

• 7 Mar 2007 18:03:31 GMT

[...James Watson nice calm guy.]

Penn, unfortunately he has `dark side` too.

A few examples from wikipedia.

He said:

[`really stupid` bottom 10% of people should be aborted before birth]

[all girls should be genetically engineered to be pretty]

[that if the gene (for homointimacyuality) were discovered and a woman decided not to give birth to a child that may have a tendency to become homointimacyual, she should be able to abort the fetus]

[Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you`re not going to hire them]

[advocating that certain racial, religious and ethnic groups` `numbers should be restricted`, for claiming that blacks are genetically lazy and for advocating the infanticide of handicapped newborns]

I leave this up to your decision!

Sri

• 7 Mar 2007 19:35:14 GMT

[Penn, unfortunately he has `dark side` too. ]

I just couldn`t believe what I was reading...majority of the time I am wrong about men too :-(.. he came for a groundbreaking event and I had a conversation with him but was all technical, talking to him I felt very small the immense knowledge this guy had and was very soft spoken, Only if I would have known this idiot`s other side I would have pictured my self knocking his head.

Damn didn`t know Sripedia a decade back to set my thoughts straight :-(

• 7 Mar 2007 19:39:23 GMT

[Damn didn`t know Sripedia a decade back to set my thoughts straight :-(]

Don`t worry, we still have time. I will straighten up you, I mean your thoughts. :))))