President Mahinda Rajapaksa has decided to appoint a commission to investigate into the following irregularities, malpractices and several other misdeeds in the Ports Authority, the Government sources revealed
The sources also said the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) has also decided to investigate these irregularities.
* The appointing of Tokyo Cement Corporation as the sole cement producer and distributor in the Eastern Province for five years.
* The renting out of a part of the land owned by the Ports Authority of which the Beruwela Lighthouse stands, to a private company for 30 years.
* The extending of Lafarge Cement agreement
* The spending of Rs. 110 million to repair a building belonging to the Ports Authority
* Utilisation of Ports Authority funds without proper approval to construct the Matara beach park.
* Irregular tender procedure on Galle Face Green renovation work
* The alleged attempt of leasing out 146 perch prime land adjoining Beira Lake to a multi national company.