Scandinavian ceasefire monitors have begun preparing a report card on how the parties fare in implementing promises made during last months` talks in Geneva, the chief monitor said yesterday.
Of the 50 incidents recorded so far, at least 35 were against the LTTE and involved child recruitment cases, Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission Chief Hagrup Haukland told The Sunday Times.
The incidents against the government were related to harassment of civilians, mainly in the north and east, he said. `The incidents are serious enough. But not serious enough for either party to stay away from the next round of talks,` said Mr. Haukland, who concludes his term on March 31.
The report will be presented by Mr. Haukland`s successor Ulf Henricsson, a Swedish brigadier, when the parties meet again in Geneva on April 19-21.
`We are recording and preparing the report. It will include incidents and rulings, and reflect the commitments made by the parties at the first round,` Mr. Haukland said.
The Defence Ministry and the Peace Secretariat Coordinating are documenting the LTTE`s non-compliance of Geneva I, with special emphasis on child soldiers, abductions and human rights, the officials said.
The LTTE, in turn, is preparing documentation which it calls ?evidence? of the security forces colluding with paramilitaries operating in the east, rebel sources said.
Since Feb. 24, a day after last months` talks ended, the SLMM has been presenting both the government and the LTTE with a weekly report of incidents and rulings, Mr. Haukland said.
The SLMM will undoubtedly have a tough task to present the black and red stars to the parties. The assessment at the start of the April 19 talks, will set the stage for the three-day negotiations. `The biggest challenge is the armed groups,` Mr. Haukland said.
`But we are not hunting them.`