A child was hurt when the service revolver of his uncle, an ASP, went off accidentally on Sunday.
The ASP`s three children, all below the age of 10, had taken the revolver out of the wardrobe, where their father had placed it after returning from duty and were playing with it when it went off injuring a cousin of their`s who was also playing with them at that time.
Although the ASP had locked the wardrobe the children had discovered the key, SP Matara Gamini Jayatunga said.
The ASP`s nephew has been admitted to the Karapitiya hospital with injuries to the head. SP Wijetunga said it was not possible to record statements from the three children as they were all underage and were in deep shock after the incident. The ASP is also in a mentally depressed state after the incident he said.