'ri Lanka: Embezzlement of Govt Revenue ` Evidence overwhelming

• 27 Apr 2005 10:59:43 GMT

Samanj, you are 100% correct on this. SL Customs is the best job in the government, only second to that of a minister. The funny thing is that even though about 90% of the customs staff are corrupt no one takes any notice of this. In the airport i have noticed many a times how they harass the returning ME workers while the business man who hop across to Singapore and Bangkok for a few days are sent out without even a 2nd glance. I have been asked on a few occasions if i can purchase some items for them from my duty free allowance. I always answer in the affirmative as otherwise i can end up getting delayed as then they will open all my bags just to show who is boss. This has happened to several of my friends and they have warned me in advance. As for the LTTE using these idiots, i am sure it is not difficult. A bottle of scotch to a customs officer i think is enough for most things as these people can be bought very cheap indeed.

• 27 Apr 2005 12:35:53 GMT

I am surprised why this article was not published earlier as this story is quite old as is fraud and bribery in SL Customs.I have first hand experience of the Customs as I was a importer myself.And I have also spoken on a live TV cast by ITN regarding this issue.You know what happened?I just wasted my time and my money on the call.So Samanj dont expect any reaction from the SL Media or even the GOSL.Why?because the ball is in teir court they have all the rules and regulations to put you in trouble. As long as you corporate and give them what they ask for you get your thing done in no time.Or else you are given the worst ride of your life as they did to me resulting in me giving up imports.Go to the so called `Long Room` and you will be able to see yourself.All the things(Herion,Gold etc.etc.) that have been seized by the customs are a fraction compared to what has been brought in.

This(Palm oil) is just a minor case as compared to the underhand business thats going on in the customs.Do you know how many containers are released without being properly checked?Thats why they opposed when the Navy was introduced to check containers.I can write for months about the SL Customs but its awaste of time.But one thing I want to say.

JVP HERE YOU HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE REALLY GENUINE.IF YOU COULD STOP THE FRAUD AND BRIBERY IN SL CUSTOMS I ASSURE YOU THAT YOU WILL TRAVEL A LONG JOURNEY IN POLITICS AS IT WOULD IMMENSELY BRING DOWN IMPORT COSTS THUS BRINGING DOWN THE COST OF LIVING.

• 27 Apr 2005 12:51:22 GMT

Chanaka7,

I presume that you are a racialist, and prefer to keep Sri Lanka exclusively for Sinhala Buddhists; thus marginalising all the other. Unless Sri Lanka move towards embracing secularism, there will always be agitations. The Tamils must have as much rights as you have; it has been accepted universally that they have been denied of these basic rights; hence, the Tigers are relevant to the peace equation, and if you want to make then irrelevant, then you need to think outside your little box and try and understand humanity and conflicts etc.

• 27 Apr 2005 13:09:26 GMT

WHO SAYS 17 MILLION RUPEES FRAUD IS A BIG ISSUE FOR SL?

You all are duped by a few disgruntled parties. Open your eyes to the real truth behind this scandal.

There is one inseparable name that SL Customs can not part with from seventies to date.

A peerless DIRTY HARRY, nobody in the contemporary open economy jargon could match in the customary game, who robbed over billions worth of poor Sri Lankans` assets for peanuts thro custom robbed money, with the able assistance of Madams and Gentlemen of both sides of the political divide must be laughing through his toothless mouth when the whole country is making a big fuss about this devalued rupee account of 17million whereas when he was calling the custom shots it was a rupee that had ten times the value that of today.

NAGANANDA K. HIDING IN UK IS A PERSONA NON GRATA in SL FOR THAT CUSTOMARY CRIME COMMITTED AGAINST THE NOBLE MAN OF STASSEN FAME.

We have better things to talk about in these rogue principals thanks to Tara of Madam. Ranil and his henchmen must be counting their fingers the day the dice turn on for them in the not too distant future.

• 27 Apr 2005 14:36:24 GMT

ArialistB,

Comment on the News article,not the person.This article is about fraud in SL Customs,not racialism or the LTTE.

• 28 Apr 2005 05:15:12 GMT

Hey Ariya...stick to the point under discussion, bud..

In fact, your little diatribe is more like a old tooth-ache. Find something more exciting, will ya?

• 28 Apr 2005 05:53:20 GMT

Ariyalai,

You are definitely on th wrong track here. Anyway since you have brought up racism in a discussion about the the corruption in the SL customs, I will respond to you.

Is Praba ready to accept secularism? I don`t think so. If that was the case he would not have slaughtered so many innocent Sinhalese civilians. You say that the Tigers are relevant to the peace equation, will all of you leave the south and go and live in the wanni if you get your dream homeland? If all you buggers are willing to do that i am for Eelam, but I know you you will not. You will want to keep one foot always planted outside Eelam just in case. I maybe a racist but I am not stupid.

• 28 Apr 2005 13:10:17 GMT

Just like the SL media I see that most of the members are not keen on commenting about fraud and corruption.Excuse me for writing this.Get a feeling if our members also were involved in such activity one way or the other.