Three Sri Lankans convicted of murder have had their files forwarded to the Saudi Arabian King for his authorization of execution, reports from the Kingdom said.
Sources said the Sri Lankans had been in prison for more than a year and there were doubts whether the King would grant them a pardon or order them to be beheaded.
Parents, relatives and friends are seeking the immediate intervention of President Mahinda Rajapakse to negotiate with Saudi authorities to obtain a pardon for the four prisoners.
Ranjith Silva, Sanath Pushpakumara and E.J. Victor Corea were arrested on March 10 last year on charges of armed robbery and possession of illegal weapons and on March 24 the Saudi Arabian government authorized the prisoners to be beheaded.
Earlier the Working Committee for the Protection of Rights of Sri Lankan Migrant Workers in a bid to save the three Lankans urged the intervention of the then President Chandrika Kumaratunga or the then Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapakse.
However, Ranjith Silva speaking to the Daily Mirror from the Saudi prison said that the authorities had completely ignored them and even the usual visit of a Sri Lankan official was stopped some months ago.
?Sri Lankan embassy officials, including the Foreign Employment Bureau, have lost interest. Even some of those non-governmental organizations who compelled the authorities on our behalf have lost their enthusiasm. It`s only our family members who are still fighting for us,? he said.
Ranjith said their only hope for saving their lives was now in the hands of President Rajapakse.