Qatar denies detention of Swiss Sports Journalists
April 21, 2011
Accra, April 21, GNA - A source at the Qatar Ministry of Interior has dismissed media reports of the detention of two Swiss Sports Journalists last week in the course of discharge of their duties.
Earlier reports said the Journalists were held for 13 days in the land of the 2022 World Cup hosts, but the official has vehemently denied the report which he claims is intended at damaging the World Cup prospect of the Arabian Peninsula.
The highly placed source told GNA Sports that the two Swiss Journalists were questioned for illegally filming a report of football activities in Qatar.
'They had entered Doha on tourist visas and were not supposed to carry out any journalistic assignment.
'The two journalists had not sought permission from the agencies concerned here for filming and did not have any accreditation as TV Journalists,' the source said.
The source added that the duo was subsequently taken to the Prosecution Office for brief questioning, after which they were allowed to leave, whilst the Swiss Embassy in Kuwait was also contacted in that regard.
Qatar was selected as hosts of the 2022 World Cup last December after they beat the USA, Japan and Australia in the race for the final slot.
It will be the first time that the world's biggest football spectacle, the World Cup will be held in the Middle East.