Sri Lanka to host counter-terror confab
Full News Article
Joined: Mar 2005
|17 Aug 2007 23:00:15 GMT Report for Abuse
|This conference is very important to Sri Lanka as Sri Lanka is facing many terror threats from LTTE as well as international officials who are working on LTTE agenda. GOSL must try to participate maximum number of its officials for this conferenece.
Joined: Aug 2006
|18 Aug 2007 03:39:48 GMT Report for Abuse
|SLMM agrees only Forces can carry arms
The Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission (SLMM) has endorsed the government?s position that only the security forces and the police can carry arms, the Secretariat for Coordinating the Peace Process (SCOPP) said yesterday
SLMM Spokesperson Thorffnur Omarsson confirmed that the Head of the SLMM Maj. Gen. (rtd) Lars Johan Solveberg had subscribed to the government position reiterated by the SCOPP at a meeting with the Head of the SCOPP Prof. Rajiva Wijesinha yesterday, that none other than the security forces and the police could use arms in the country.
Defence Spokesman and Minister Keheliya Rambukwella welcomed the SLMM position, which, he said, recognised the right of the security forces to act against any group that carried arms. 'That is what we have been doing right along and we will continue to do so,' he said last night from Geneva.
He said he was happy that the SLMM endorsement had come at a crucial time when civilians in the areas adjacent to the conflict zone were coming under constant attacks from the LTTE, which, he said, had no right to use arms and therefore had to be disarmed. 'Our position is at last gaining international recognition,' he said.
The SLMM furnished details of the recent abductions reported from the East and the SCOPP agreed to inquire into the allegations. The SLMM also apprised the SCOPP of the situation in the North, where it said its monitors had reported incidents of constant shelling. The SCOPP undertook to look into the incidents.
The SCOPP expressed its concern over the media reports about continual LTTE attacks on civilian targets in Weli Oya and an attack on civilians in an uncleared area in Mannar.
The SLMM informed the SCOPP that it was paying special attention to monitoring in Jaffna and a report would be published shortly.
Joined: Aug 2005
|18 Aug 2007 06:23:30 GMT Report for Abuse
Just keeping on accusing the LTTE for all the evils in SL will not impress the foreign delegates at all.
But I am sure they will agree with you as long as they are around,and have a wonderful time enjoying the delicious sea food, fried rice and excellent desserts and the wine and scotch at the Banquet, wellcome cocktail reception and gala cultural show. When they are out of your shores it will be a different story for them and the same story for you.
I heard your talk in person recently in front of several foreigners and it was the same accusations and lamenting. It just cannot impress any one who can think logically. It has no academic dimension at all and it is only good in Matara, Hambantota or Vindana, where people don't qestion or think.
President don't have the files of the foreigners( a political culture discovered by late JRJ, a great patriot) so that they will jump 50 feet whem you say jump 10 feet!Don't expect them to be yourself, Fernandopulle or the Poor PM who is always asked to do some really dirlty job for a little name and salary.
For a change, at least have a single Sri Lankan speaker to speak on:
1. What creates terrorism or how terrorists are made?
2. Do terrorists fall from the sky over night and without any reason and from click of fingers are ready to die?
3. Clearly understand whether terrorism is a symptom or a cause?
4. How to get over terrorism? ( by merely buying Mig fighters that have already passed their life time by a jacked up price or abducting and terrorising innocent people or crying from the roof tops LTTE...LTTE without going into the root cause for terrorims)
5. look around and see whether there are any workable definition of terrorism (please do not ask Bush, for him all the partiots who oppose US's illegal invasions will be terrorists)
6. Is there are any one who has defeated 'terrorism' by merely screaming or without solving the underlying issues?
7. Incidentally, get some one to speak on the terrible 'impact on the pockets' of some of our local patriots if the war or terrorism comes to an end!
Hope you will have a successful deleberation in the next few days of your conference.