|Subject: Lateral thinking abilities
An interesting quiz for your Lateral Thinking abilities --- Think!
1. There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to
leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though,
he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest
of the way unless it's raining! Why? (This is probably the best
known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking puzzles. It is a
true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit
the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly
2. A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the
scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the
surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy, he is my son! ' How can
3. A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, lumper,
gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the
street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light
but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?
4. Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones?
is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be
solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a
well-known software company as an interview question for prospective
5. A man went to a part y and drank some of the punch. He then left
early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently
of poisoning. Why did the man not die?
6. A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water.
The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man
says 'Thank you' and walks out. (This puzzle claims to be the
best of the genre.
It is simple in its! statement, absolutely baffling and yet with a
completely satisfying solution. Most people struggle very hard to
solve this one yet they like the answer when they hear it or have
the satisfaction of figuring it out. )